This blog post is essentially a summary of my presentation(which can be found here) on application and deployment of 5G within IoT scenarios. which revolves around the following publication: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7397856
In this part of post(previous part : link) we will have a look at:
- Various Radio Access Technologies within 5G
- Various Radio Access Networks used in 5G + IoT scenario
- 5G IOT architectures: OneM2M and SmartM2M
So, as mentioned in previous post,
RAT is the underlying physical connection method for a radio based communication network like Wifi, bluetooth etc. while RAN is part of a mobile telecommunication system. It implements a radio access technology.
Various RATs for 5G
- Relaying for increased coverage: –
- Improve range of base station
- Support Bandwidth hungry
- 4 different types of schemes for relaying:
- Amplify and forward
- Demodulate and forward
- Selective decode and forward
- Buffer aided – Only for delay tolerant services
- Improves scalability, load distribution, fault tolerant
- Millimeter Wave Technologies: –
- With ever increasing mobile traffic demands, capacity of wireless carriers must also be increased!
- mm-Waves in combination with CMOS technology can provide low cost, energy efficient circuits with high data transfer rates.
- Problem: High propagation losses at millimeter frequencies!!
mm-Waves find its application in D2D short-range data exchange.
- Can be used in heterogeneous networking with other 5G RATs.
- Device to Device communication: –
- Involves exchange of data between mobile phones without involvement of Base station.
- Four different type of D2D communication exists:-
- Device relaying with operator controlled link establishment.
- D2D with operator controlled link
- Device relaying with device controlled link establishment
- D2D communication with device controlled link establishment
- With D2D, IoT devices can share, gather and forward information anonymously without increasing network traffic.
Various RAN’s for 5G
- Decoupled Uplink and downlink
- Depending on congestion, device may choose to send Uplink traffic to a different base station
- It increases reliability and Throughput.
- License Assisted Access(LAA)
- Within LAA, licensed bands are used for control or important messages while unlicensed bands are used for trivial data exchange.
- It reduces operational cost of the whole network
- Best suited for high-capacity applications
- Radio Access Network as a service
- Distributing BS functionality to cloud
- Introduces delay but greatly enhances flexibility of operation.
- Software defined networking(SDN)
5G MTC architectures
- ETSI SmartM2M ;
- It’s based on RESTful Service Capability Layer(SCL) which contains information using a resource tree. Each resource can be transferred or manipulated using Create, Retrieve, Update and Delete commands.
- SmartM2M is made up of 2 domains: Device domain and network domain. Each device runs a local instance of SCL and is connected to the network via gateway.
- SmartM2M is very secure, flexible and extensible. However it may suffer scalability issues as all transactions are being mediated by M2M network.
- oneM2M :-
- oneM2M is also RESTful in its design but it resolves scalability issues by adopting a hierarchical organization of different network components.
- It also consists an additional security layer for encryption/Decryption of data packets and device authentication.